Saturday 14 July 2012

butterfly

 Ok, I cannot just leave well enough alone. Sad.
So, I got this soluble film at a craft fair, which you can use to mould a result. The idea is that you can just embroider straight onto it, or you can make a fabric sandwich and embroider on that, and then cut out whatever, and dissolve away the film, but set the result as you wish, and it will roughly set into place.

Now earlier I tried making a flower, which does work, but I also wanted to do this butterfly, which was in my head. So I needed to find some fairly sheer fabric, Knew I had some rolls of voile, but where are they? I know I have a roll of purple, which I have seen very lately, but it has done the thin air trick. 

 However, I came across these, a black with a sort of sequin-y thing on, and a deep teal colour voile, so I used these to make my sandwich, with the film between. I drew out some random butterflies, and did that free embroidery thing. Outlined the butterflies in black, first, and then started work on the actual butterflies. It is easier the faster you stitch, and the slower you move the hoop. and you can build up a good texture as you go. I tried to go round the sparkles, and then carefully cut out the end result. I shall trim these a little closer, and then go and drop them into water, and get them moulded into shape.
And what then?


Well, I am not quite sure. Are these good enough to make into a brooch? What do you think? Anybody? Your penn'orth would be appreciated at this point!

6 comments:

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

They are lovely! Kirsty Allsop used similar stuff in her crafting tv special. What is the name of the product? And yes - make them into gorgeous brooches :)

Di said...

These are lovely. What clever stuff. I echo Amy, what is it called? It looks like a lot of fun. Di x

CRAFTY WOMBLE said...

Oooooooh this is one of the things on my to do list, good work. If you want some further information, inspiration, advice then I hartly recommend this book "Thread Magic Garden: Create Enchanted Quilts with Thread Painting & Intuitive Appliqué" I downloaded it, my mum has a book copy :)

Sew Thrifty Fi said...

I love butterflies and these are super.. Love the sequin on them x

Nicky said...

No ideas - perhaps they would be good as hair ornaments!? Maybe in some future ballet production - you just have to make 20 or more???!

Catherine said...

Oh wow, these look amazing. I think I saw Kirsty do this on her homemade programme and wanted to give it a go. You have done a fabulous job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts