Sunday 14 June 2015

dressmaking..

Hurrah! There are two dresses done! ( I hope) Well, one of them I need to see on the lass before I can confidently say it is done, as I am not quite sure about the finished length.

I got out the rolledge foot on my machine, practiced a bit, made a mess the first time, tried again, and thought I had the hang of it, and went for it! When it is doing what it says on the tin, it works really well, but it does have a slight tendency to attempt to creep out of its nifty little rolling groove, so you do have to not stitch at 90 miles an hour, just go a wee bit steady, and keep checking the positioning. 


That light and translucent fabric deserved either a roll edge or a narrow edge on the overlocker, I discussed it with my daughter and we thought this would be the better finish on this one. 
The worry with hems like this is always the length. There is not much room to get it wrong. If you have chopped the fabric off, it is gone, you cannot put some back on...So, I shall see it on the lass one evening this week and hope!

So, the second dress! I checked length on my daughter before I started- she is very handy, and I felt better checking the paper pattern on her before cutting the skirt- there is not enough fabric to be making big mistakes here! And then I overlocked the pieces. It gives me confidence that they will not fray later. 

 I love when the overlocker ( serger for those of you who know it that way) runs itself to the point where it produces this effect with the offcuts!




I did the under layer on all sides, but the light outer layer I left the hem edge unfinished at this point.
 This is the skirt of the dress!
It does not look much like a dress like this!
 I love my blind hem foot, it just works!
and, yes, I did the same roll edge finish on the dress here. 



Just checking the length before the final hem is done! We wanted it to just skim the floor.


With some Irregular Choice shoes, which give her height! Again, before the final hem is done!

Anyway, it is done now, and I can relax, and let her enjoy it!

and I am linking this with le challenge- because this dress is a SINGLE colour!.... see if they accept that! well, it is all purple all through!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, those slippery fabrics are a nightmare for me to sew. I'm not that adventurous anymore lol. But your finished product is marvelous!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, those slippery fabrics are a nightmare for me to sew. I'm not that adventurous anymore lol. But your finished product is marvelous!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I am very impressed! I bet they will both look gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to le challenge :)

Nancy said...

Cheers that you did such a nice job on the dress. Long ago I sewed my own clothes, but getting the fabrics to do as I wanted when sewing was getting tough, so I buy mine now.

Nat at Made in Home said...

We will accept a single colour of course! amazing dress, thanks for sharing on le challenge.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

You made a beautiful job of those rolled hems!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts