Sunday 18 December 2011

block number 20

Ok so now we are starting to get into 'real applique'. The stuff where you pin and sew, and do not get the Bondaweb out. Mostly hand sewing. For the record, I do not enjoy hand sewing. At times I have done enough of it to cause calluses on my finger tips, but I do not like it. I cannot get on with thimbles either. They are too big and manage to make my finger sweaty at the same time.
We are just doing circles this time, and Leila says we can machine or hand sew, but really, if it is done by these techniques, hand sewing it is. And, in for a penny...


 I have a neat little circle cutter that I used to make template circles out of craft paper, and then used these as patterns for my circles.




So first technique, needle turn applique. This is as simple as it sounds, and produces a really good result, where you can scarcely see the stitches. I was quite pleased with the result.

not quite a circle, in places, but not too bad for the first attempt.
Next up, a freezer paper method, cut out the shape in freezer paper(bought by the metre, or by A4 sheets at certain shops, or available on the inter-thingy, if you are so inclined- not the same as our baking parchment, though I am tempted to see what that does in like circumstances- anyone tried it? So you cut out your shape, spray starch, and iron the seam allowance over. Remove freezer paper, and pin and sew in place.


So the larger circle  was freezer papered, a little easier than needle turn, but very similar in the end.


I have several circles cut and ready to go, but Am not sure if I will use all of them, depends how it looks when I get there.
The other two methods Leila wants us to try are yet to come, but I shall get there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your too funny! You did a great job on both applications! Kim C.

Pieces to Love said...

I have a bobbin that is too big. My little trick with it is to put a small piece of batting along side of my finger in the bobbin to make it 'snug' but not tight. You are learning some great techniques.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I think they look great! I was wondering about the baking paper too!! Considering nobody has mentioned it it probably doesn't work so well!

Unknown said...

to know more about unblocking numbers visit @ how to block phone numbers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts